Monday 24 September 2012

Level 5 Evaluation


The following form is designed to focus your self-evaluation, personal reflection and design strategy planning for the second year of the course. This should help you to identify necessary areas of interest, working practices, aims and ambitions when planning your return in
September. More importantly it should help you identify specific issues that you need to address, skills you intend to develop and creative/ professional aspects of design practice that are relevant to you as an individual.

As this is form focuses on you as an individual you may find you need to add certain criteria, skills or areas that are relevant to you and
your aims. There are spaces left for you to add content.

Your evaluation will form the basis of discussion during your first tutorial in the second year.

Your response to this task should be posted to your PPP blog and labelled ‘PROGRESS EVALUATION 04/05’

...................................................................................................................................................................

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

ENGAGEMENT
Attendance: 5
Punctuality: 4
Motivation: 4 
Commitment: 5
Quantity of work produced: 5 
Quality of work produced: 4
Contribution to the group: 3

PERSONAL SKILLS

Communication - verbal: 2
Problem Analysis: 3
Communication - written: 3
Problem Solving: 4
Communication - visual: 4
Content Development (Research): 4
Organisation - time: 5
Conceptual Development (Idea Generation): 4
Organisation - project: 4
Visual Development (Visual Skills): 4
Organisation - personal: 5
Media/Material Experimentation: 3
Presentation - crits: 2
Evaluation & Selection: 3
Presentation - assessment: 2
Finishing Skills: 4
Presentation – Blogs.: 5
Production Skills: 4

...................................................................................................................................................................

Identify 5 ways in which you aim to extend your strengths an/or address areas for improvement.

1. Become much more comfortable when presenting in front of people. This still terrifies me but it is something I have to become better with if I want to succeed. 

2. Make sure to practise and practise my presentations so I know what I am going to say properly and professionally. 

3. Make sure to take all feedback into consideration so as to make my work is more suitable for the audience. 

4. Check spelling thoroughly so insure everything makes sense 

5. Think about how I could improve my final design once finished. 

STUDY SKILLS

Library: 3
Magazines: 2
Internet: 5
Study Visits: 2
Online Content: 3
Contextual Research: 3
Documentation (Blogs.): 4

...................................................................................................................................................................

Design Skills

Grade the level to which you will prioritise developing your skills and understanding of the following: 

5= highest, 4 = high, 3 = necessary, 2 = unsure, 1 = low

PRACTICAL SKILLS

Typography - Font Design: 3
Typography - Layout/Grid: 3
Screen Print: 2
Bookbinding / Paper Craft: 2
Letterpress / Printed Type: 2
3D Materials & Media: 3
Photography & Studio lighting: 4

DESIGN FOR PRINT

Packaging: 3
Editorial (Magazine): 3
Publishing (Book): 4
Retail: 3
Promotion: 3
Branding/Identity: 3
Information graphics: 4
Signage/Wayfinding: 4

CREATIVE PRACTICE/CONCERNS

Ethical Design: 2
Sustainable Design: 3
Digital Innovation: 3
Print Production -Paper/Format/Finish: 4
Handmade to Digital: 4
Designer Led Practice: 3
Client Led Design: 3
Commercial Design: 3

...................................................................................................................................................................

SOFTWARE

Photoshop: 4
Illustrator: 3
Indesign: 4
Dreamweaver (web): 0
After Effects (Motion Graphics): 0
Fontographer (font design): 0

DESIGN FOR SCREEN

Design for Web: 0
Design for Mobile Technology: 0
Interface design (DVD, Mobile tech.): 0
Moving Type (TV ,Film): 0
Motion Graphics (TV, Film): 0

PROFESSIONAL PRACTICE

Music publishing & Promotion: 2
Fashion Branding & Promotion: 3
Corporate Identity: 3
Exhibition Design: 3
Retail Branding & Interiors: 3
Design for Social Change: 3
Product, Promotion, Packaging: 3
Self Publication & Print: 4

...................................................................................................................................................................

Independent Practice

Others (please list on your blog.)

Identify 5 things that you aim to achieve during level 6, explain why you want to achieve them and how you intend to go about achieving them. Grade them in terms of level of priority.

1. Understanding of all programs as that has to be the most important thing when getting my ideas from paper on to screen. I will get better at this by teaching myself outside of college. I feel that that is what is needed if I want to get a good understanding. 

2. Become ALOT more confident in my self when it comes to presenting in front of people. This has to be the one thing I dislike about the course! I simply can't stand being stood in front of people and talking. It has to be something I improve on.

3. Take the time to not rush and keep calm. During first year I would often panic and not design to my full potential. It has defiantly improved since but it still has to improve.  

4. LETTERPRESS. I always said during first year this was something I wanted to do but I never got round to it somehow. I feel that it will help me execute my work mush differently into a style that I can make my own. 

5. Screenprinting, again, something I didn't to a lot of, I want to get really good at it so as to execute my work better.