Wednesday 25 April 2012

TASK 5// Who Are You?


Sam Hoh

about Sam Hoh: I have written out a short interview for Sam to Answer and this will be the content to my double page spread. I have also answered for Sam just incase it comes handy.

Who are you?

My name is Samuel Hoh, I'm originally from Nottingham now a resident of Leeds. I came from NCN Art & Design foundation and I am currently studying Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art.

What is your earliest memory?

Im not sure this is the first memory I have, but who is sure? anyway I remember discussing with a young chap in nursery school that his name couldn't be Sam because that was my name. Thinking back he could of had the name Sam id like something a bit more exotic.

Which living person or persons do you most admire? How had he/she influenced you?

Not including members of my family (which I think everyone generally acknowledges without acknowledging) I currently admire Mark Emery - Incarcerated in America for selling cannabis seeds. I along with many people think his arrest and imprisonment was political. I admire his courage, honesty, intellect, passion, truth and strong will for justice.  
If you could bring four people to a secret dream dinner party. How would they be?

Again not including family I would bring back the John Wayne, Bob Marley, Albert Einstein and Bruce Lee.

Where would you most like to live. What would you do when you lived there?

 I wanted to live in America but i'm not totally sure. I have family in Malaysia and the country is wonderful but I cant imagine myself living there. Amsterdam? because the city is fascinating, full or graphic design and art and the people are friendly.
Would type of design do you want do in the future?

I would like to do contemporary design which is current. Anything that involves creativity with smart concept.

What other plans do you have for the future?
I really want to be my own boss and have a design house of my own. If I had a clothing label that would be ideal.  

What do you consider your greatest achievement? 

Probably getting on to this course as I think it will lead to bigger and better things. I have improved an astonishing amount and my whole idea of graphic design has changed and has been re defined.  I think more possibilities have been highlighted and I can see a bit further into the future now.

Any last words?
Do more, talk less.

................................................................................


Here are the measurements for my double page spread.


The heading title // possible pull out quotes:







NOT my final design. This is just something I can now play around with and work into. I know that I have'nt been religious with design sheets but the ones I drew up on paper I found to be of my liking. The next stage for me is to play around with as many designs as possible and come up with something that I am happy with and that I can finish with. The design above I am not happy with. The layout isn't perfect and the photo doesn't look right. I might end up adding some more text or shapes just to give it a bit more flavour but with out making it un legible and busy.








PAGE BREAKERS. I decided to design some page breakers and a nice yet simple way of making to page more legible but at the same time visually pleasing. 



These have quickly been done on photoshop and without noticing they have become very over pixualated and I can no longer experiment with it. The next step is to go on to illustrator with this new font (NELMA) and live trace it. I might just work in illustrator. I was getting very tired of my old layout  as it was very bland. I do like that look in design but its very easy to do but very hard to make look right. 



.........................................................................................................................


Above is a new idea, All I have changed is the colour and I have traced Sam's name in Chinese.




I'm not happy with how this is looking. Its far to simple and I feel I can change this by making the text more interesting. 





Corner design! 

I think this is a good way to make the article feel more inclosed, gives it a sense of scale. 



To make the layout work better for this article I have added two more questions for sam to answer. Once that is done I am going to play around with the interview so that it perfectly lined up with the main 'SAM HOH' text. Once that is done I believe that this will be finished. I intend to sit sam down and go thorugh his one for me and of course my article for him. I think that will help us tweak it a little further to make it perfect. When we go to crits we will both be able to comment correctly on each others work.




As you can see I have put Sam's portrait inside the 'o' but in my eyes its radically changed the design. I makes perfect sense to have it there but I don't think it looks right. Because they article is all vector based having a real life representation seems odd! I can't word it that well but I sense it doesn't work too well. I want to ask some people what they think.  

TYPOS AND 'WHO ARE YOU' has the wrong answer!