Monday 22 October 2012

Creative Industries// Industrial Experience

What is Industrial Experience? 
  • To provide more practical experience in a job you are applying for. 
  • A reliable look into the area of work you want to get into. 
  • it's previous experience working in the same type of job that you are applying for
  • Industry experience has emerged at the top of the list of what businesses need and expect from their accountants and advisors.- bdo.com
  • A core part of your Bachelor of Engineering is the completion of at least 12 weeks of industrial experience. This fulfills one of the requirements of accreditation from Engineers Australia, while also giving you an opportunity gain invaluable hands-on training and experience with real world situations. - newcastle.edu
  • Industry experience includes the experience in Engineering,production or manufacturing, or in my case Graphic Design.
  • To make it a bit more simple. Its very similar to work experience we all had to do when we were 16/17. Its a way of experiencing working life in the subject you are interested in. 
What can you learn from Industrial Experiences? 
  • I beleive the first thing you would learn from an Industrial Experience would be learning how Graphic Design works in the real world. Thats something that I really look forward to experiencing when I do my first work placement. 
  • Admittedly the first weeks would be nerve racking, but everyday you will end up becoming more confident within yourself as you become more comfortable in the studio. 
  • You would probably learn how to make your portfolio more presentable and more visual pleasing by getting feedback  from certain companies, they might comment on something they feel should be better, from this you would gain a better understanding of how your portfolio should look. 
  • An obvious one but you would defiantly improve you design skills over the time spent in your chosen studio. Even if you are a wizz on certain programs you will probably be shown better ways of executing work. I can imagine it would be a good way to test your skills that you have learned during your time at Uni. 
  • After witnessing graphic design in the real world; you would then leave wanting to be more hardworking once seeing how tough it can be. 
  • You would learn where your place is in the real world. No matter how good or how big your reputation was at college, you will be at the bottom of the chain in the company. I feel this would make you much more aware of the social side to graphic design, meeting new people and new companies. 
  • You would learn how serious the real world is. If you muck up a print in college it doesn't matter, you might get bad feedback to a crit but I feel we can all live with that. When you start working on the real thing you have to know that this shit is real and if you mess up thats it.
  • Making yourself viable in the world would be something you would begin to pick up on over time at a placement, after witnessing how important that it, you will want to make you 'online presence' more out there.   
  • Presentation skills would be something that would improve. Once going to your first interview you will know how important it it. I know for me this is what I hate about design! But, i will learn that its something I have to do, something I have to get better as. 
What form/format could industrial experience take?

  • Internship 
  • Live/ Competition briefs 
  • Visiting Professionals 
  • Freelance work 
  • Online networking 
  • Trade events 
  • Festivals 
  • Exhibitions 
  • Visting studios
What areas of industry are you interested in?

1) working in a studio that works with a large range of different things. Print and web being the main focus. 


2) Editorial would be something I would like to do, magazines being the main focus. I like the idea of page layout, grids etc. I feel the magazine industry would be a nice place to work on the whole. A busy atmosphere with many types of design fiting into one.


3) In terms of studios, starting off I would like to work in a small studio as you would get more attention than if you started in a big studio. If you were in a small studio it would be a lot more obvious you are around!


4) I would absolutely adore to work in a studio were they focused on Letter press and other types or pressing. Take this video for example, Jack Daniel does letterpress. I can't imagine there are many studios in around that focus on this. This should be something I look into. I need to get an induction with letterpressing!



5) Again, magazines! This video was pretty much the video that got me into Editoral. I love how so many people work hard for one thing. Working in a team is what a feel I am best at


What are your concerns about industrial experience?
  • How to present my portfolio would be the first thing, I find the idea quite terrifying, showing my portfolio to potential professional designers who aren't my tutors, of whom I don't know my work!
  • What studios to go for. I would be worried that I would end up going to a studio that doesn't suit my style of design. However I know that this would be something I would look in to thoroughly before doing a work placement. 
  • What exactly to put into my first email to a studio. This I feel is something I would go over again and again to make sure its perfect!
  • My personal statement at the moment is a shambles, It hasn't been touched for quite a while and I think I need help to get it back together. 
  • Finally, getting my portfolio to a standard which is considered expectable, I feel I have little time to get it done! I don't really feel I have enough work to put into it either. 

No comments:

Post a Comment