Thursday 26 January 2012

Evaluation, Focus, Develop // Key Questions

Evaluation 

What is the Problem?

Even though I have been working hard, I still seem to find myself heavily behind on work. I feel this module compared to 403 has been very unorganised (myself to blame) and I've been slightly confused to what has been going on. I think this is because there have been briefs set towards to beginning of the first term which have suddenly crept up on me. 

What subject/area of study are you focussing on?

100 things, Grid & Type, & Photoshop Brief. Grid and Type is not expected in for the 405 Though so this is something I could forget about for the meantime. BUT, thats what I did for 405 last year and look what happened. I forgot about certain projects and it put me in the dark.

To what depth are you investigating this area/ subject? Is this sufficient? 

It has been very sufficient but recently I have been stuck on other projects. This is my on fault. I am still moving on slowly though and as this is happening I am finding myself to be getting slowly more organised. My research though is becoming strong and I can use it to design. In all honestly it hasn't been that sufficient as it got to a point where most of my research was becoming quite pointless.

What is the form and amount of your research to date? 

I have a thorough amount of research for 100 things. I recently did a survey where almost 200 people responded and this had helped considerably. Aside from that I have been looking into news websites online. Newspapers like the times online had a lot of interesting facts about slavery. During this brief I have done a lot for 100 things. I would say about 80% of it is completely useless. I remember Amber saying that this was a brief that is very easy to get stuck or lost on as its big. I got to a stage where I was stuck and my research wasn't going anywhere. Luckily after a some surveys and some good pieces of information I was able to stand up and crack on. 

What visual material do you have to work with? 

There hasn't been any I don't think. All my researching was done over the computer and in all fairness this was by far the best way to work. I could have spoken to people in person about slavery but I decided the questionnaire survey was the best was to tackle that area.

Is there an appropriate amount of work for the time you have had to develop it?

-I've been focusing on other work too much recently and now I only have 6 or so days to finish 100 things. I know I will get it done though but to answer the question I have more than enough work to be getting on with and I believe that goes for everyone on the course. I need to knuckle down and focus on what need to be done now- My mind begins to think of what needs top be done in the future and I panic.

If there isn't why is this? How could you improve your work rate? 

I can't answer this as I have a lot to do and my work rate is well above average at the moment.

What is your Timescale? When is the Deadline? 

The dead line is Monday the 6th of February but I am printing next Wednesday which only gives me 6 days. I am confident to get it all done. I usually stay in college after hours but I am going to have to do that more that usual the next week or so. I don't have CS at home which actually radically changes my timescale. After a day at college I am usually mentally tired and need a break. When I go home I relax for an hour and then find that I have the energy to work. So I come back to college! With ou a doubt my timescale is good and if I carry on working in this way I will find myself finishing in good time for module hand in

What is achievable in the time available?

Any thing is achievable, I just need to think straight and get going! I've got to produce 9 pieces of work for 100 things in 6 days. I could go on but reading the answer the question above that will answer this in depth

What methods are you using to evaluate the progress of your ideas? 

I just finished making a design sheet to get my head in gear. Its helped me develop one poster so far and that poster has actually given me more ideas for another one. I'm terms of research I am looking in to info-graphics for design ideas. With the information I have now I can get designing I just want to find some inspiration. 

Focus 

What are you identifying as areas worth developing further?

My knowledge of information graphics. I have looked in to 'Information-is-beauilful' by Mccandless and I am getting a firm grip in to how to make information understandable and legible for the audience. I am also thinking about what else I can do apart from posters. I was thinking postcards or even another hotdog book.

What are you trying to communicate?

I am trying the communicate modern day slavery and the horrible facts about it. Through information graphics I will hopefully produce a set of 10 products that are there to make this horrible industry aware to people and make them react to it. Make the audience help fight.

What audience have you identified?

I think that after thought the audience is a big one. You can't really but a name on one. If i had to 16- 80 years of age. Its a charity based design. The posters will inform and then direct people to a website for more information and if they want to to help.

Who are they?

Anybody who need to know, this can be anyone. Again like I said above it can be any audience, who ever wants to get involved with this organisation (ilo)

What problem(s) have you identified? 

The research I did has mostly proved useless and in a result I became stuck. I have started to dig myself out and now I am in a better place. I am in a position where I can start to crack on with work 

How to you intend to solve this (these)?

Do more research relevant to my products and run with the my strongest research.

What is your intention? 

At the moment. Start designing. I am just researching and I could be designing upon the information I have found out already. I don't have enough to design 10 products but I certainly have enough to start designing a few. I can design and research at the same time.  

Development 

Have you moved on from your initial starting point. If so how and why? 

I have yes, like anyone I started with only a lot of research for a project I had no idea would be about. I now have ideas for design. I have moved on because thinking back to the beginning of the project. We had a very broad subject area. I had 'The clothes indusrty' and that was just ridiculous. I could do loads and loads of researching and I found this research to be poinless. However, it steered me towards slavery in the clothes industry and then on to child labour and then just Modern World Slavery. So, thinking back to what I have already said in this questionnaire about all my research being pointless. It hasn't been, I would be where I am now without it all.

What methods are you using to document this development?

After every change in my work or thought in my head it is put on to my blog. I haven't done it any other way. I have wanted to put it in my sketchbook but theres too much of it it seems pointless. I have printed it all out and put it in a folder, I found that when this came to working it was a better way of going back to fins previous information.

What processes will you need to develop your work?


Design sheets are always a strong was of getting what is in you head on to paper. Its a good way of looking differently at your thoughts.

Do these processes require workshop access? // When do you intend to access these workshops?(LAST TWO QUESTIONS TOGETHER)

Yes, the workshop has been very useful as I can't work from home. I can only design in the workshop but I can research outside of the college. My room in halls isn't the best working environment and theres no real reason what so ever. I tend to work better in a real working environment and the workshops are a perfect example of a 'working environment' 


No comments:

Post a Comment